As a hand spinner I’ve spun a lot of different sorts of fibers, but until now have only spun gradients as class projects. Recently I decided it was time to practice as I have several braids of fiber that I am hoping to spin then knit into something that will showcase the changing colors. So I decided to start with this fiber:
Since I wanted a 2-ply yarn I unchained the fiber then split it roughly in half, vertically, so that I had 2 ropes of fiber. Wound them each into a loose ball to keep them safe while I worked on the project. Started spinning the first, black section first. It isn’t obvious from the photo, but the black has a beautiful purple cast to it. This first photo is of the singles as it gradually changes from the black to purple.
Here it is with a dime for size comparison:
And here is the transition from purple to pink, right before I changed to a new bobbin:
The first singles has been spun and is waiting for the second to be finished and plied together. So far this has been a fun project and I’m really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.